Industry-leading packaging company highlights progress made through strategic initiatives.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania – (July 13, 2020) – Graham Packaging, an industry leader in the design and manufacturing of innovative and sustainable packaging solutions, announces the release of its 2019 Sustainability Report. The report provides a comprehensive overview of the progress made in 2019 towards sustainability across all areas of the company and offers a glimpse into its objectives for 2020 and beyond.
“Progress has been the driving theme for what we have accomplished in 2019, as well as what we are striving for in 2020,” said Mike King, CEO, Graham Packaging. “The goals we implemented in 2018 have gained momentum, and we will continue to exhibit our passion and energy to create positive change for our customers, community and employees.”
Throughout 2019, Graham Packaging made significant strides in key initiatives outlined in its 2018 Sustainability Report. Some of the achievements from 2019 summarized in the report include:
- 56% increase in the use of rPET content
- 65.7 million pounds of HDPE PCR content consumed
- 375 million containers diverted from landfills by Graham Recycling Operation
- 25%+ ocean-bound PCR content in a single bottle
- 6% overall reduction in energy usage
- 100% renewable energy used by two Graham facilities in Brazil
- 19.4% combined decrease in scope 1 & 2 greenhouse gas emissions
These achievements are tied to Graham’s commitment to sustainability-focused organizations that promote environmentally responsible behavior, including the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, The Recycling Partnership and the Better Plants Program. Graham Packaging is leveraging its relationships with these organizations and others to achieve the following by 2020:
- Reducing energy usage by up to 5% as part of an overall 25% energy reduction by 2028
- Increasing its use of PCR — including ocean-bound plastic — by incorporating an average of 10% PCR
- Conducting more than 25 life-cycle assessments to help communicate the value of sustainability to its customers
- Innovating to provide product lightweighting, recyclability, durability and reusability
- Reaching a goal of 98% of its products being recyclable by continuing to design for recyclability across all product lines
“While we recognize the challenges of adopting aggressive sustainable packaging practices, we also acknowledge it is a commitment that is both necessary and achievable,” said Tracee Auld, chief sustainability officer, Graham Packaging. “As a leader in sustainable packaging for five decades, we accept and embrace the responsibility we have to our customers, consumers and the planet to help create a healthier, more sustainable environment for future generations.”
For more information on Graham Packaging’s sustainability efforts, visit https://www.grahampackaging.com/sustainability19.
About Graham Packaging
Graham Packaging is an industry leading solutions provider for sustainable packaging and a worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and sale of technology-based, customized blow-molded plastic containers for a variety of branded markets, including food and beverage, household and automotive lubricants. Headquartered in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, with its flagship manufacturing facility in nearby York, Pennsylvania, Graham Packaging produces more than 16 billion container units annually at almost 70 plants in North America, Asia, Europe and South America. In 2011, Graham Packaging was acquired by Reynolds Group Holdings, a leading global manufacturer and supplier of consumer food and beverage packaging and storage products. For additional information on Graham Packaging, please visit https://www.grahampackaging.com/.