Key factors on how to create an effective plumbing design for a manufacturing facility.
Plumbing covers a wide range of purposes, and that is especially true in large manufacturing plants. Designing a plumbing system is about the careful layout and routing of all the materials and components all over the manufacturing facility. MEP engineering Chicago professionals are some of the best options to handle such tasks.
Plumbing engineers must take care to create a highly-efficient piping design, processes, and workflow in a cost-effective manner that meets all the necessary standards. The plumbing system must be easy to maintain and control to lower the risk of contamination if we are to look into a food manufacturing plant.
Key Factors In The Designing Process
The sanitary facility must include the following objectives to create the best possible outcome in design:
- The system must be able to carry sufficient water quantities throughout the entire facility at various locations.
- Design effective drainage systems for internal and external parts of the facility. It includes floor drainages where processes involve the use of water or wastewater removal.
- Create proper routes and connections of piping systems; there must not be any cross-contamination and backflow of water requirements in processing and water waste disposal.
- To properly transport liquid waste and sewage.
Integration of Design
The integration of the design happens when professionals, such as mintropy, work with other professionals responsible for the construction of the facility. To create a plan, the plumbing engineer must consider the following:
- Cleanable facilities require an ample flow of water supply where the ceiling, floors, and fixtures are washable. Assign how many sources of hot water at the proper areas to allow thorough cleaning.
- Determine how much gaps the stainless steel piping should have between the mount and the walls and ceilings so that no dirt or debris can accumulate.
- Include the protection of the piping (insulation) to prevent moisture from compromising the quality of the material.
- Determine piping positioning to allow dismantling and maintenance.
- Analyze and check all water resources on how much they can provide, how much pressure they will allow and anticipate possible concerns that can happen from the outside of the facility.
- Design following various conditions and how to operate accordingly. There may be periods that there will not be enough water for washdowns.
- Determine every process that will take up much water demand all over the facility and allow future installations of additional fixtures that will allow water flow.
- Decide how much water dispensing for the facility’s usage requirements at a certain amount of time.
- Provide systems on hot water circulation following the location of various internal facilities that require water. It is the law and regulations of the International Energy Code.
- Design various types of drainage depending on the purpose and where they need to be. For example, if the facility will be producing grease and other types of waste, including dedicated water sources, it will make it easy for staff to use it. On this account, it is best to plan with the structural engineer.
Engineers in Harmony
Plumbing engineers must work with the following key players in different disciplines:
- Fire Protection Engineer
This engineer is responsible for creating fire protection safety throughout the facility by identifying the various dangers and fire protection requirements. Sprinkler systems shall be added to the critical points of the facility and will work closely with the Plumbing Engineer to ensure that the safety of the building is not compromised. The Fire Protection Engineer shall be informing efficient ways to have parts of the structure to adapt to a non-automatic sprinkling system to make the layout less expensive.
- The Architect and The Structural Engineer
The plumbing engineer may enlist the help of specialists as well for a collaborative effort. Architects and structural engineers are responsible for the design and the framework of the facility. They must work together to designate the piping fixtures and drainage inside and outside of the facility.
Making Use of Software To Design Plumbing
Put your vision on the creation area and turn it into reality through the use of various designing software. You can make use of design elements to create a blueprint of diagrams and schematics. A plumbing and piping plan is no easy feat, and it may not take you overnight to design one. However, using computer software allows you to save time and materials and put more into collaboration with other professionals.
When using software, you’ll be able to:
- Make use of pre-programmed floor plans or build one from scratch.
- Decide what to put in by adding various elements like fixtures, furniture, shapes, or symbols.
- Allow the use of colors to identify the positioning and routes of the plumbing system.
- Review and save.
A competent plumbing plan requires collaboration with other engineers and construction professionals when designating water supply, determining pressure, and how much is needed for processing purposes, as well as wastewater disposal. There are many factors to consider, as well as permits and certifications to prepare. Make sure that you are following the laws and regulations on what materials to use. Finally, consider the effects on the surrounding environment of the facility.
Fred Mitchell is an engineer by profession who knows helps businesses with their mechanical, plumbing, and energy needs. Fred has been in the industry for more than two decades, making him one of the most trusted names in engineering.