Highlights from the analysis include:
- The industrial manufacturing sector saw its first megadeal (transactions worth more than $5 billion) in six quarters, disclosing a value of $11.1 billion in the second quarter of 2018.
- Deal value increased 68% from the first quarter of 2018, with a total of $36.7 billion in the second quarter
- The industrial machinery category increased to $19.8 billion in the second quarter, followed by the electronic and electrical equipment category – as demand for digital products continues to rise, M&A deal value in these two categories will likely remain strong in following quarters for the industrial manufacturing sector.
- Growth in industrial manufacturing M&A in the first half of 2018 has been fueled by US investors who were on the acquiring end of six of the top 10 deals.
- Although the North America region contributed to the largest share of deal value year to date, we saw a significant pullback in deal volume in the region during the second quarter, likely due to escalating risk and uncertainty around global trade.